Sunday, November 14, 2010

Priorities

I slipped up. I messed up. I did not go to church today. I told myself the night before I was going to go and my sleep took priority.
I have no excuse.
What happens sometimes when we say we are going to do something and we end up not doing it? I am not comfortable to say it; but a little piece of my character and integrity just got chipped away.
No one is going to tell on me. I am not going to get punished for not going to church.
The only one that knows or has to know is me.
What am I going to do about it?
I am going to pray about it. I am going to ask for grace. There is nothing physically I can do to fix my mistake but ask for grace and do better.
It is sad to admit I work 50+ hours a week, and I never miss a day. I can’t sleep in. I can’t call in sick.
But when it comes to this morning, it was easy just to stay in bed.
I think that is how a lot of things are. That is really what separates a lot of successful people from those that have not achieved their goals and dreams.
It is easy to do a thing (like go to church), but it is easy not to. You can apply this to anything. You can apply this to reading, studying for an exam, working out, contacting someone you have been meaning to contact. No one is going to yell at you for not working out and no one will scorn you for not reading today. But you know. You know. Just like I know I did not go to church.
And I look forward to church. I really enjoy the fellowship, I look to the bible for truth.
It is easy to do and it is easy not to do.
Alan Jackson wrote a song titled, ‘Work in progress.’ I refuse to justify my lack of responsibility for this morning and whether I went or did not go I am still a work in process.
I think this might tie in a little to a couple other posts I have made in the past; the power of a mentor and improving. We are all works in progress, the important thing is to identify those areas and improve on those daily.
How can I provide value today? There is a book I read a couple years ago called Critical Choices by Daniel R. Castro. It is about people making choices that made a tremendous impact on their lives and others. I think you will find value in it. And I think it might be time to pick up this book again. God bless you, Nicholas Nighbor
 

No comments:

Post a Comment