Saturday, March 23, 2013

Managed Frustration

A blood curdling scream came from the bedroom. Sounded like my seven year old.

What happened? Did someones hair get pulled? Did a ceramic Christmas tree just put a dent in one of my kids foreheads? That actually happened once. Did one of them just break their arm?


No. 


My youngest daughter was putting away the Lego's and she decided to dismantle what my oldest daughter just put together. 


Life and death? No. To a seven year old? Yes.




It was interesting what happened next; I just got a message that a meeting had been cancelled that I was really looking forward to. 


I told my daughter, "You really need to work on your adversity quotient(AQ). She said, huh?"


This was a perfect time to talk about the adversity quotient to my daughter. 


I was once taught that success is managed frustration. We all have things happen to us; what's important is how we react. 


Adversity Quotient is something I have learned about from Orrin Woodward in his book Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE. Mr. Woodward goes into great detail on how and why some people are successful and some that can't push through.


His explanation is a lot more detailed and very well researched. I could never do it justice; after all he is the best selling author. 


There are three areas that he digs into: Intelligence Quotient, Emotional Quotient and Will Quotient. If you haven't read this book pick it up as soon as you can. It is a phenomenal book with time-tested principles discussed in great detail that includes specific people that have had success in several areas. 


As it is explained in the book, AQ is the ability to persevere in tough times, handle pressure and stress and continue to move forward despite the odds. The example I am using with my daughter may seem elementary but it is a perfect example of how she can choose to react to a situation she is not happy about. 


Because my oldest daughter is only seven I could only go into so much detail about how to react and respond to life. Once I explained it to her I had her explain it into her own words back to me. 


In my own life I can say my adversity quotient is tested daily in work, life, family and especially spending time with the in-laws. Just kidding! 


Those that can make it through and choose how to react properly will make it further than the person that just gives up. 


The adversity quotient is just a small tidbit of information I have learned from the LIFE business


The purpose of the LIFE business is to provide world class information to help people in all areas of their life. I have learned a great deal of information from the LIFE business and I am proud to follow leaders like Chris Brady, Bill Lewis and Steve Morgan


Thanks for reading and feel free to leave your comments below.


God bless!


Nicholas Nighbor

2 comments:

  1. Nice job honey. PS-if anyone needs AQ with the in-laws, it's me. J/K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog post! It is true, we each face different challenges everyday and without AQ we would all be a mess!
    Thank you for the inspiring post!
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete